Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Where are they now?

Today, Eric Wong is still working with Shell in the Bintulu SMDS project[14]. Joseph Ngieng is a drilling engineer, assigned to Petronas, on and off in KL. Michael Ting left Shell and is working as a consultant toolpusher with an American firm and making the mega bucks in US dollars! Awang Junaidi got the sack way back when he challenged Shell as a Malay bumiputra and lost! I have lost touch with him when I was reassigned to Materials department as a stock analyst in 1984. 

I saw Macmilan Bau working as a clerk in the training centre. In my opinion, although he still had a permanent job; he got a lousy deal with a dead end. Adenan Ali and James Nguren were sent to Oman to work as drillers on a Shell rig there and I lost touch with them also. Gandhu left Shell to work in the Middle East some where. Lian Tai Lee disappeared from the scene altogether. I continued to work as a stock analyst and was promoted to senior buyer, JG6. I worked there until 1995 when Shell restructured and I was offered an attractive redundancy package. I accepted, took the money and migrated to New Zealand with my family. Let’s go back again to the main story:

After Jan Martijnse left Shell our new trainer Mr. Corster was completely useless. He did not even bother to learn our names! He called me Gandhu! He did some other unforgivable stuff also. Fortunately I had a spy, Lucy Chin
[15] working in the drilling office and we were able to neutralize some of the terrible plans he had been hatching for us. One day Awang Junaidi’s keys to his office did not seem to fit the door! The drilling boss, Ben Frietman, did not even have the guts to tell Junaidi, a Malay that he was no longer working for Shell! Instead, he arranged with camp services to have the lock changed during the night! Just fancy that! Is this Shell culture and the Dutch way of doing things? I am so glad that I am no longer a part of all this bull shit. None of my three children show any inclinations to work for Shell in Lutong and I am so glad!

No comments: